If you’ve been thinking about preordering Bound but haven’t done so yet, let me ask you two questions:
- Do you have an indie bookstore in your area? If so, please consider asking them to order the book for you instead of ordering it through Amazon*.
- If you don’t have an indie bookstore in your area, how important is two day shipping on a book that isn’t going to reach you until mid-August anyway? Would you consider ordering online from an indie bookstore and paying for shipping instead of relying on the convenience of Amazon?
As an author, the easiest thing in the world for me to do is to send you to Amazon. You probably already have an account there. You know the shipping is fast and cheap. And if you’re anything like me, you buy plenty of other things there, too.
Then there’s the thrill I’d get as an author by watching my Amazon ranking get higher and higher.
So why am I asking you to forego Amazon and order my book through an independent bookstore?
Because even more than I love even more than I love the idea of a #1 ranking on Amazon, I love my local indie book shops. They are warm, friendly places staffed by book-loving humans who can answer questions, make recommendations, and make me feel at home. They are bright spots in my communities, hosting book clubs meetings, readings and book launches, and other community-strengthening events.
So, if you are planning to pre-order Bound, and I really hope you are, please drop by your local bookstore and ask for it, or check them out online and order it. You won’t only be supporting your indie bookstore, you’ll be helping me, too. By asking them to order it you’ll be showing them there’s demand for the book, and increase the chances that they’ll carry it. That means it’ll be easier for others to come across it while browsing. That kind of thrill – for me – is even greater than a rising Amazon rank!
If you don’t have a local indie bookstore please consider ordering online from one. I’ve got two that are favorites spots of mine, and a third site where you can look for one near you. Give it a try! And feel free to leave links to your favorite indie bookstores in the comments. You might turn someone else on to a new favorite spot!
- Kew & Willow, Kew Gardens, NY (Online ordering and shipping available)
- Trident Books & Cafe, Boston, MA (Online ordering and shipping available)
- Indiebound.org (You can search for an indie bookstore near you, or order through the Indiebound site.)
No matter how you get your book, I’d love it if you’d share a a selfie – or even a shelfie – with it! When sharing on social media, use the tag #BoundMemoir or tag me to make sure I see your post.
*None of this is intended to shame anyone who needs to – or prefers to – use Amazon. I want you to have the book no matter how you acquire it!